CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) GUIDANCE
How we're responding
During regional and national driving restrictions in the UK, the safety of our instructors and pupils is our priority.
The following information is accurate at the time it was posted, but you're best to check with your instructor for the most up-to-date information. Here's the latest across each region:
Updated: Wednesday 4th August 2021
The government has removed the remaining Covid-19 restrictions in England.
Driving lessons & Mandatory Facemasks:
• From 19th July 2021 the legal requirements to wear a face covering were lifted in all settings. However, to help reduce the spread of Covid-19, guidance still advises that wearing a face covering will reduce your risk and the risk to others, where you come into contact with people you don't normally meet in enclosed and crowded spaces.
• As a result, it is down to each individual driving instructor to decide whether to wear a mask or recommend that their pupils do.
• Talk to your instructor directly about whether you should be wearing a face covering during lessons.
• The DVSA have advised that they continue to expect pupils to wear a face covering for their driving test, if they can. This is in line with the government’s safer travel guidance. Your test will not take place without a face covering if you don’t inform the DVSA in advance.
Covid-19 Positive & Isolation:
• From 16th August, any individual who has received both vaccinations or who is under the age of 18 will not be required to self-isolate after close contact with a positive Covid-19 cases.
• Anyone testing positive for Covid-19 must still self-isolate whether they have had the vaccination or not.
• From 9th August, Scotland is to remove almost all of the remaining Covid-19 restrictions, however the mandatory use of face coverings in enclosed spaces is to remain in place for some time.
• The rules around self-isolation will also change, meaning that fully-vaccinated adults who are identified as a close contact of a positive case will no longer have to isolate if they return a negative PCR test.
• From 7th August, Wales is set to move to alert level zero, with restrictions being eased. Face coverings would still be required in most public indoor places including public transport.
• Under-18s and fully vaccinated adults in Wales will not have to self-isolate after close contact with a positive Covid case.
• Restrictions are gradually being lifted, however it remains compulsory for driving instructors and students to wear face coverings during lessons.
If you have any queries you can visit our contact section here.
Everyone at BSM would like to thank our Driving Instructors for their continued support and professionalism during this incredibly challenging time.
Thank you for your understanding and stay safe.